Facebook Posts – September 15, 2015

Currie Mixon

September 15, 2015

For those opposed to the sidewalk petition that passed with ~70% of the property owners on Lorimer Rd., what would a sidewalk petition look like that you would sign?

Comments

Currie Mixon – The answer to this would look like, “I would sign a petition for a sidewalk if…”

Like · 1 · September 15, 2015 at 2:49pm

Erin Salmon – I would start with a petition for an asphalt sidewalk on the east side of the road. I would also petition for two stop signs on Lorimer. One when heading north at Merwin, and one when heading south at Onslow. i would also petition for the bus stop to exist at this old location, so that the crosswalk would get repainted and signage added. I kniw you did not ask, but to address the curb and gutter aspect, I would sign a petition to address the ditches directly as a stormwater concern. I can’t remember if I posted a link to the city’s stormwater management page, but the city actually grants funding specifically to help neighborhoods address stormwater and erosion issues.

Like · 2 · September 15, 2015 at 5:34pm

Erin Salmon – I would also sign a petition for No Thru Trucks signs.

Like · 3 · September 15, 2015 at 5:35pm · Edited

Erin Salmon – I have a question also: does safe walkability on our road have to look like a sidewalk?

Like · 1 · September 15, 2015 at 5:59pm

Shannon Bellezza – Though I would not be signing anything, I would suggest minimum setbacks or anything else to minimize property encroachment. Also, not widening the road. Something that has not been brought up is that it is uncertain whether the Melbourne Rd. ramps will remain open when the 440 widening takes place. Should these ramps close, many more people will be using the Western Blvd ramps. This will contribute to more cut-through traffic. A wider road would not only make Lorimer more desirable as the cut-through route of choice, but I suspect it would cause these people to drive faster than they would on a small neighborhood road.

Like · 2 · September 15, 2015 at 6:22pm · Edited

Shannon Bellezza – Also, I would love a 4-way stop at the intersection of Onslow and Lorimer. Turning from my side of Onslow onto Lorimer is tricky due to the curve and hill. You really can’t see the cars on Lorimer until they’re right up on you (and many of them tend to drive down the center of the road rather than on either side).

Like · September 15, 2015 at 6:08pm

Jeff Essic – An asphalt trail on the east side, or whichever side we could mutually agree on, would be fine with me. Even better, though, in my opinion, would be a natural trail that we as neighbors work to construct and maintain. Where it runs, whether east side or west, whether along our front yards or perhaps in the back, we would have to discuss. I would be open to consider any routing on my lot. And I would be very willing to help with buying materials and doing work anywhere needed. I think it would give our neighborhood a uniqueness and distinction that others would envy. Now, someone might say, “but what about the stormwater”… well as it is, the city wants to spend $1.7million with the blink of an eye on a project that does nothing to improve stormwater, but instead only hides it from our view and makes it worse further downstream. What if instead we work with the city to spend such money on some infrastructure that will actually decrease the amount of water running into Bushy Creek? Folks, we are in the backyard of NCSU where there are a plethora of faculty and students who would love to have the opportunity to use our neighborhood as a proving ground for studying and demonstrating how older development can be retrofit for water quality protection.

Like · 6 · September 16, 2015 at 9:57am

Currie Mixon – Just curious, why is an asphalt trail preferred to concrete?

Like · September 16, 2015 at 10:02am

Jeff Essic – not speaking for Erin Salmon but I think, asphalt can be laid in a less disruptive manner. You don’t see concrete trails in parks, for example.

Like · 1 · September 16, 2015 at 10:11am

Erin Salmon – Greenway trails appeal to me more than sidewalks. When I currently walk down our street, it feels like a double wide greenway. I would sign a petition to have the road resurfaced, definitely.

Like · September 16, 2015 at 9:58pm

Currie Mixon – I try to bike to work as much as is feasible, so I traverse several paths often. This sidewalk/path is one that I travel on most days when I bike home. The ~1 inch mounds come from roots and those come from the nearby pine trees. Our driveway is another dramatic example of the frailty of an asphalt pathway.

Currie Mixon's photo.
Like · September 18, 2015 at 1:59pm

Ryan Barnum – In all fairness, this happens to concrete sidewalks too. It doesn’t show up like a series of 1″ bumps like this shows, but it pushes the square section of concrete upward, or just cracks the concrete. If you walk down Gorman towards Avent Ferry from Kaplan you see a lot of it.

Like · 1 · September 18, 2015 at 3:32pm

Erin Salmon – The sidewalk near the gas station on the corner of Kent and Western is another example of tree root damage to concrete sidewalks, FYI.

Like · September 18, 2015 at 4:46pm

Currie Mixon – It’s worth thinking about that if the Melbourne ramps do close and that leads to more cut-trough traffic, that’s all the more reason to have a way to get pedestrians off the road.

Like · September 16, 2015 at 10:04am

Jeff Essic – I bet stop signs at Onslow would reduce a lot of the cut-thrus. Kent/Method Roads have always had a lot of traffic because at one time, they were the only way to get to Hillsborough St. from points south before Gorman and Blue Ridge were finished in the late 80’s. I’ve been told that quite a bit of that traffic spilled over onto Lorimer and Chaney, since at one time, you could take Chaney straight across Western Blvd and avoid the stoplight altogether as long as you were willing to play frogger (this was the case up until 2002 according to google earth). I would like to hear from longer-term residents if safety was a problem during that time and if sidewalks were considered then.

Like · 1 · September 16, 2015 at 11:04am

Shannon Bellezza – But wouldn’t it make more sense to make the road less attractive for cut throughs with stop signs and keeping the road narrow?

Like · 1 · September 16, 2015 at 11:52am

Barbara Scott – Jeff Essic, I moved to Chaney in 1989 when you could still take Chaney straight across Western Boulevard. The traffic from Western was not quite as intense then as now, but one still had a hard time getting across Western from Chaney during any time ofSee More

Like · September 18, 2015 at 4:49pm

Barbara Scott – I don’t live on Lorimer and I appreciate the opportunity to contribute. These are some ideals. I know I’m dreaming, but thank you for the opportunity to do that. Permeable pavement for the sidewalk, such as permeable interlocking concrete pavers. Putting some kind of creative groundcover (instead of grass) in the strip that separates sidewalk from street. The plants would not require mowing and would absorb surface runoff and provide wildlife habitat. Maybe this is veering over into the stormwater design aspect of it too much, but some kind of holding pond near the creek that would filter water from any curb and gutter or water channel structures before it reaches the creek could become a focal point. The pond could be planted with native plants that tolerate wet and dry periods. The area would provide food and habitat for birds and other wildlife, and serve as a teaching tool for public schools and home schools. It could be a place for children to learn about creek habitats, water flow, water management, and all kinds of things.

Like · 3 · September 16, 2015 at 2:04pm

Barbara Scott – As I said, I’m dreaming of the ideal. But when making a $1.5 million change, why not hold an ideal in mind that inspires the practical decisions of such a project? People are going to live with what happens here for a long time after it’s done.

Like · 2 · September 16, 2015 at 2:19pm · Edited
Don Munn – I’ve often wondered if we could get folks on board for a path under the power lines and up to the church parking lot? I’d happily work on a section in my easement… might have to check I with the power company on materials, but seems like it would be doable….
Or if we want to ce together as a community and build a walkway in our yards, we would have a lot more flexibility in the elevation adjustments if we didn’t have to follow the road? I know it might not be cheap, but cheaper by the foot than $32…..

Like · 2 · September 16, 2015 at 10:17pm